Join Bridge Winners
It Hesitated. Should I Shoot Myself?

As West, both vul, matchpoints, playing a fairly generic 2/1 system, you hold:


Yes, I can certainly see arguments for 1NT forcing and then bidding 2 at my first turn instead of pass. I chose not to, as I'm going to hate life after a jump shift rebid, and, with the boss suit, I am likely to be able to compete later and show a terrible hand with some spades. Even if you think that's a terrible decision, I'm asking you to just accept it for now.

Over 1NT, partner's pass was definitely slow. I noticed it. Now I have a problem. Partner's BIT certainly suggests offensive strength, which could have convinced me that 2 is more likely to be successful than pass. That said, I passed with an express plan of competing in spades at least at the 2 level if available. I honestly thought that pass was not a logical alternative, but that is SO CLEARLY a self-serving statement that even I'm not sure I believe it.

I chose to bid 2, but I felt kind of guilty. The auction continued and opps bought the contract. After the hand, I told our opponents, who are both certainly competent (they are both significantly better than I am, though that doesn't necessarily say much) that, if they wanted to call the director now or after reviewing the hand, I was happy to stipulate that there was a break in tempo. 

They decided that it was not a problem, and that their bad result was earned by their decisions, not by mine. But I wasn't sure how I should have handled it. What should I have done? 

Even if you think 2 is clear, you should pass 2
Tell the opponents that you are aware of the BIT before bidding 2
Call the director. Tell him and the opponents that you are aware of the BIT, then bid 2
Bid 2, speaking to the opponents after the hand
Other (please explain)

Sorry, to answer polls. Registered users can vote in polls, and can also browse other users' public votes! and participate in the discussion.

Getting results...
Getting Comments... loading...

Bottom Home Top