Join Bridge Winners

Bridge Winners Profile for Amnon Harel

Amnon Harel
Amnon Harel
  • 1
    Following
  • 2
    Followers
  • 38
    Posts
  • 23
    Favorites

Basic Information

Member Since
Feb. 20, 2012
Last Seen
July 10
Member Type
Bridge Player
about me

Started playing bridge in high school. Badly. Took me over a dozen years to start unlearning bad habits and start to understand the game.

Country
Israel

Bridge Information

Favorite Bridge Memory
Two great runs in the (main) team event in the International Israeli Bridge Festival, back when it was in a three session format. Tying a match with the Herbst brothers after finnessing declarer's 5 on defence, way before we had any clue how to play, when they were already international-caliber.
Bridge Accomplishments
Met previous two bridge partners through bridge, and they ended up my good friends.
Regular Bridge Partners
Uri Epstein, Dror Shahaf, Hanan Sher
Member of Bridge Club(s)
Carmel
Favorite Conventions
Support with support. Immediate double negative.
ACBL Ranking
Non Life Master
Sorry, this user has no cards yet.
Why SAYC is so Bad (and we know it is!)
"Acol" means different things to different people, even if we exclude those that use it as a code word for "based on the 4-3-2-1 HCP count". But I never heard of a variation where opener's new suit rebids after a 2/1 are NF. What I played for years ...
Defending Against the Precision 2!c Opening
I like (2)-3 as +. With spades, at least you can overcall 2 which takes up some bidding space from opener's side.
Why SAYC is so Bad (and we know it is!)
The basic mistake in Standard American, Yellow Card or not, is that a 2-1 response promises a rebid. Throw this away and you get old-fashioned "Standard Israeli" which IMHO is at least as good as 2/1M-GF. Of course, you still need to add gadgets to improve the weak points ...
4SF question
@Jim Paul's anti-positional stopper sort of answers your question - though 2NT is descriptive, it wrong-sides the contract, so you choose not to bid that...
Working Backwards from Maximal Security
A few quick ones, off the top of my mind: The cheater's friend connects as a spectator from the next room over and knocks on the wall in a predefined code (e.g. 1 knock = minimal values, 2 knocks = watch out, foul breaks, etc.) Is there an air vent ...
Who is at fault?
Right, so East psyched a preemptive bid with two aces, his partner with zero defence and great offence guessed not to sacrifice over 6, and you want to blame NS? From this I learn that EW are above suspicion here, which is great. So you just laugh it off ...
How do you define 3!S?
In your methods and in this sequence, is negative double and then the cheapest spade big defined as similar but weaker to a direct 2? If so, this might be a signoff. But with a great fit opener should still raise.
Respecting Goren, but...
Specifically, if we take as a given that you find the A where you want it and clubs break (3-2): Goren's line works when diamonds are 2-2 (40%) and in 5/8 of the 3-1 breaks (31%) for a total of ~71%. Your line works when the A ...
How do the odds change?
At some point, the details of the side suit led matter. E.g. if the lead was low from Kxxx, the odds of the Lefty having Kxxx (but not KTxx) in the key suit are lowered due to restricted choice - he might have equally well led the key suit.
Controls and Trump Quality
How about Eugenized?
.

Bottom Home Top