Join Bridge Winners

Bridge Winners Profile for Robin Hillyard

Robin Hillyard
Robin Hillyard
  • 75
    Following
  • 25
    Followers
  • 125
    Posts
  • 21
    Favorites

Basic Information

Member Since
Jan. 4, 2013
Last Seen
2 hours ago
Member Type
Bridge Player
about me

Learned bridge in the US so, despite my Britishness, I don't know Acol. Took almost 20 years off. I am more of a theoretician/teacher than an expert proponent. For some reason (probably because I don't think fast enough), I don't always make such good decisions at the table as I can in the post-mortem. Many of my observations and thoughts end up in my blog (see website in my profile). In real life, I have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, and I am an Associate Teaching Professor at Northeastern University in Boston.

I'm also a musician (bassoonist) and yes, people, music always outranks bridge. Sorry.

I have a bridge-playing wife (Kim) who is a very popular and successful bridge teacher, a 17-yr-old son (CJ)--who no longer plays bridge because it isn't cool--and two grown-up non-bridge-playing kids. I can (rarely) be found directing bridge games.

Country
United States of America

Bridge Information

Favorite Bridge Memory
Honolulu 2004. We had been in HI for ten days so had a big advantage over the East-coasters who had just arrived. Entered LM pairs for the first time ever. Terrible first session (42%). Decided to have wine with dinner (how could it hurt?). Got (double) section top in second session and qualified for second day (but didn't distinguish ourselves then).
Bridge Accomplishments
Three Regional Open Pairs wins (two with Kim Gilman, one with Dan Jablonski), most recently at Warwick, RI 2018; various open sectional wins.
Regular Bridge Partners
Kim Gilman, Tom Breur, Alan Frank, Harrison Luba, Dan Jablonski, Ethan Wood, Peter Matthews, Barry Margolin, Yichen Yin (after the first name, these are in no particular order)
Member of Bridge Club(s)
The Bridge Spot, Newton Bridge Club (MA)
Favorite Tournaments
Any NABC
Favorite Conventions
Fit-showing jumps, XYZ, splinters (including splimits), cooperative doubles
BBO Username
Beowulf
ACBL Ranking
Gold Life Master
Sorry, this user has no cards yet.
Alan Frank's bidding problem: x Tx K9xxx KQTxx
In actual fact, it was -500 vs. -650 (if I recall, defense can get three tricks on perfect defense but nobody did). So, the opponents could probably have bid on to 5S and achieved the same result.
Ripped Off
Exactly, John.
Ripped Off
There are many things where the US leads the world in innovation, but banking is definitely not one of them. And the way we use cash here is positively antediluvian. With the exception of gasoline (petrol), everything we buy has sales tax added on at the point of sale. So ...
Alan Frank's bidding problem: x Tx K9xxx KQTxx
I like the 2NT call. At the time I (North) assumed that it was genuine. But I also noticed the vulnerability. Personally, over the 3S bid, the only feature that I might be tempted to show _without_ length would be a spade feature. So, I expected that Alan would interpret ...
Harvard Undergraduate Bridge Club Approved
Couldn't agree more, Dave. Robin Hillyard, Oxford 1972 and Cambridge 1978 ;)
How do you play the second double?
Having now read the other comments, I see that there is a "Renegative double" convention (I'd never heard of it). Obviously, if you've agreed to play that then you are not showing three hearts.
How do you play the second double?
Whether or not you "define" this double as "support," the fact is (assuming you didn't define it as penalty) that you almost certainly have three hearts. And you most probably have two spades (although you might have one). Your shape is likely to be 2335 or perhaps 2344 if ...
It's Northeastern's Turn to Push for a Club
The ACBL is helping us with this process and they will likely recognize us officially before the University. That's probably the most important step in terms of being able to play in the college bridge bowl. But Jack is doing a great job of working this issue. Thanks to ...
Robin Hillyard's bidding problem: A874 AQ64 T8 T83
And how do you explain the fact that I doubled? I'm on Medicare too!
Robin Hillyard's bidding problem: A874 AQ64 T8 T83
Approximately half of voters are passing (54% at present) while the rest are doubling (46%). Clearly, you side with the passers. The purpose of the poll is to help define what is a minimum takeout double. I think we're close to it.
.

Bottom Home Top