Join Bridge Winners
How much edge do you need to justify variance?

Last night at matchpoints I played a 4 contract that I judged to be perfectly normal, and, in a relatively small field, was in fact bid at every table. From the early play I "knew" (accurately, it turned out) that a side suit was breaking 6-2, and my lines diverged depending on whether I played for 3-2 or 4-1 trumps. Guessing that the field would either 1) not play for 4-1 trumps, or 2) not know how to play against 4-1 trumps (it was a mildly complicated line), I chose to back my judgment and play for the bad split. Not only were trumps 3-2, but the doubleton included the card I needed to make the 3-2 line superior to the 4-1 line. 

Being unable to calculate the odds at the table (absent giving my opponents a round off while I did so) I went back to check my intuition today. In 60% of the cases, the line was irrelevant. Of the remaining 40%, in 22% my line was superior, and in 18% the field's line was superior. (Don't try to reproduce the numbers, as it was also relevant where a side Ace and the nine of trumps resided.) This is a judgment poll; if you knew those probabilities in advance of choosing a line, would you take the edge given the high variance of it? In fact I got a zero for my line, so presumably I would have gotten a top had it worked. Was the edge worth it?

From past experience in this field, our median session result would be about 85th percentile (top 15%).

Interested in all comments.

 

Yes
No

Sorry, to answer polls. Registered users can vote in polls, and can also browse other users' public votes! and participate in the discussion.

Getting results...
loading...
28 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...
.

Bottom Home Top