Join Bridge Winners
No system bid? Times have changed?

Reverses are not taught here in many beginner’s classes here because the concepts are difficult and lessons tend to be much shorter that we experienced as learners. Firstly some questions related my bidding problem. Do experts still use reverses to show openers hands, about 16+ with shape? Here the first suit is longer, 5-4 as a minimum. And of responder's reverses? So much of my older bidding framework seems to have been abandoned.

OK, do you bid this slam? No bidding from EW. NS play a local version of Std. American. A difference is that responder's Jump Shifts are not strong forcing bids. Over 1M three level bids are Bergen related. Over a minor jump shifts in majors are weak, 6 cards. If you would also include suggestions based on these methods, even if you don’t like them, it would assist please. 

West
Q96
North
QJ94
A98
AK872
East
J74
J10
A864
South
AK10
KQ3
KQJ10
W
N
E
S
P
P
P
P
2NT
P
3NT
P
P
P
D
3NT North
NS: 0 EW: 0

Our bidding. When partner opened 1 (3+) I had visions of slam. That appeared to depend on opener's HCP range as well Aces. The 2 reverse is a bit of a joke but I was stuck for a bid and wanted to keep the auction low, to give North enough room to describe his hand. I didn’t want to make a space consuming 3 level rebid. We play responder's reverse as excellent 11+ but more usually 12+. It's forcing for at least one round. Is this typical or is 2 natural, limited and non-forcing?

As I understand it opener must now bid to the value of his hand. We don’t use Fast Arrival because responder's reverse is not strictly GF. I know 2 could still have concealed a reasonable hand and some say 2 by opener is a responsible alternative. What do you think? However I felt North limited his hand to the lower range with 2NT so we likely have a combined total of about 30 HCP. Not enough with my inflexible 3334 shape. 3NT sign off and a comment from partner he didn’t know I was 18+ which was true. This is our system at the moment.

After any comments related to our bidding I would appreciate your sequence. Preferably not too exotic or far from a modern 5M, 15-17 NT, standard, if there is such.

Thank you, Ash.

11 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...

Bottom Home Top