Join Bridge Winners

Bridge Winners Profile for Richard Fleet

Richard Fleet
Richard Fleet
  • 0
    Following
  • 88
    Followers
  • 226
    Posts
  • 0
    Favorites

Basic Information

Member Since
May 8, 2016
Last Seen
5 hours ago
Member Type
Bridge Player
about me

I am retired both from full-time work and from tournament bridge.  My main bridge interest is researching the history of the tournament game in England: the first (and possibly only) instalment, covering the period up to the end of WW2, was published on the EBU website in December 2016.

My first serious bridge partner was Richard Granville and he suggested that I sign up to this site.

Country
United Kingdom

Bridge Information

Favorite Bridge Memory
Winning the South-West Lancashire knock-out teams event as a very raw schoolboy in 1971 - our opponents in the final were far stronger and more experienced players, including two who went on to win the English National Pairs.
Bridge Accomplishments
I've won a few national events and represented England on several occasions. My main accomplishment might well be either winning the main team event at the EBU summer meeting in partnership with my (now ex) wife or surviving an unbeaten partnership of 160 boards with Tony Forrester.
Regular Bridge Partners
None at present.
Member of Bridge Club(s)
None at present.
Favorite Tournaments
The Lederer Memorial, with which I was involved as organiser, player or commentator for about 30 years.
Favorite Conventions
The Kokish 2H rebid after 2C-2D. I would rather prefer to play without any conventions but some are essential and this is one. I would classify the Kempson 2C or 2D response to 1NT in the same category.
BBO Username
Not a member
ACBL Ranking
None
Sorry, this user has no cards yet.
Should this bid be reported to the director ?
I can't remember any instances.
Stefan Basinski's bidding problem: --- QJT543 --- KQJ9832
Bridge Odds Complete states that the odds on the spades splitting 5-5-3 or 5-4-4 together total 41.8%. So it follows that the chances of someone holding six or more spades is 58.2%: since two out of three times, the person holding six or more spades will be East ...
World Bridge Games ("Olympiad") 2020
And when China gets fed up with being the WBF milch cow?
What is 3D?
Mine too.
Should this bid be reported to the director ?
I would like it recorded in case the pair have a track record of bidding meaningless suits in this situation. Your meaning may be logical but I doubt that any bridge player would make this bid.
Non Timeo Danaos et Dona Ferentes Compulsus
As I said and as I remember it (I no longer possess Lewis and Short's Latin Dictionary), "et" can also be translated as "especially", i.e. "I fear the Greeks especially when they are bearing gifts".
ATB, or is bridge just too tough?
I understand both 3 (though possibly ill-advised) and 3NT. But North should not stand 3NT doubled.
George Klemic's lead problem: J KQ752 QT73 762
If there's a clever answer to this one, it's beyond me (witty comments not requested).
Ankur Rathi's bidding problem: AQxx Qxxx --- AJTxx
I expect 5 to fail and, whilst 6 could make if partner's hearts are good, 5 could easily be too much if they're not. Since I have to take the final decision, I view to double: the fact that East passed over 1 is ...
Leonard Helfgott's bidding problem: A6 5 KJ654 QT973
I think that 2 is natural and passable but nonetheless shows a better hand than this one.
Not following anyone yet
.

Bottom Home Top